This easy coffee cake recipe will give you moist, fluffy and delicious classic coffee cake that is guilt-free! This healthy 1 minute classic coffee cake is gluten free, paleo, vegan friendly and a low calorie snack or sweet treat to enjoy anytime – cooked in the microwave or oven.
Recently I visited a local breakfast restaurant whose specialty is coffee cake – Hobees. I believe Hobees are mainly in No. California, and have been a popular place ’round here for years. Usually a line of customers on weekends, you must try it sometime if you’re nearby. And, if you do give it a try their coffee cake is a must – even if you’re on a diet! Although I’d advise not passing on this treat, I would advise not making a habit of it. At almost 300 calories per serving (not to mention the breakfast you’ve consumed before the desert) it’s a food coma for sure. But, I love coffee cake so went on a search to find an easy coffee cake recipe that is a healthy alternative.
The original recipe was taken from Thebigmansworld.com, but I made a few slight modifications. This classic coffee take has the taste, texture and delicious flavor that the Starbucks (or a typical coffee cake!) would have, but is actually healthy for you! It’s a quick, easy and delicious snack or after dinner sweet treat which takes minutes to prep and a quick 1-minute whirl in the microwave to whip up! It’s suitable for most dietary lifestyles as the base recipe is naturally gluten free, paleo and dairy free. If you’re vegan use your favorite egg substitute and it works fine.
- 1½ T coconut flour
- 1 T almond flour
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 1-2 T granulated sweetener of choice (adjust to desired sweetness)
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- ½ tsp almond extract
- 1 large egg white
- ¼ cup milk
- For the microwave version
- In a small bowl, combine the dry ingredients and mix well.
- In a separate small bowl, combine the almond extract, dairy free milk and the egg white (or flax egg) and whisk lightly. Add the mixture to the dry mixture and mix until just combined.
- If using the streusel topping, in a small bowl, combine the almond flour with the cinnamon and palm sugar and mix well. Add the almond butter and mix well until a thick, crumbly mixture is produced. Add a dash of dairy free milk if desired.
- Grease a large mug or deep bowl (I used a cereal bowl) generously and pour the batter in it and microwave for 50 seconds-2 minutes (Depending on brand and wattage).
- Remove from bowl, top with steusel and enjoy!
- For the oven version
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees celsius. Grease a large ramekin with oil and set aside.
- Follow directions as above and once ready, bake in the oven for 10-12 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean.